Buckeye Treasure Hunter

gold panning

locations/techniques

gold panning

Postby buckeyehunter » 07 Jan 2008, 19:35

I have never been but have always wanted to go, who is taking me in the spring? :D
buckeyehunter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal Detector used: Minelab CTX

Postby Groundsnooper » 26 Jan 2008, 18:21

I have not been panning but have been practicing panning with real gold nuggets, it is a lot of fun. I belong to the GPAA but the claims here in ohio say not bank panning. Not sure how to take that but I think I know :roll: There has been gold found in Xenia but not sure where as it has not been published as far as I know. Basically about any river in this part of Ohio is possible to hold gold, might be worth taking a day and exploring some of the rivers with pan in hand and some waders.
Groundsnooper

Postby bedpanmoneyman » 31 Jan 2008, 11:06

Panning for gold has always been on my "to do" list. I watch Gold Fever on the Outdoor Channel all the time. When I lived in California, my wife & I took a vacation and followed the 49er trail for a week. That's when I got the fever but never acted on it. Someday....
bedpanmoneyman

Metal Detector used: Whites DFX

Postby wingman » 24 Feb 2008, 15:41

i've got an extra gold pan,if you want to make the drive up.
i scouted two great spots later last summer.one spot has a boulder the size of an suv in the middle of the creek with a nice deep pocket behind it.the other spot is a creek with flat smooth bedrock bottom for about a mile with nice cracks in it about every 20 feet.
wingman

Postby daytondigger » 21 Mar 2008, 19:12

I've panned gold in Stone Lick Creek. I found a few teeny tiny specs of gold, a lot of small garnets the size of sand and some nice flint and other rocks and minerals. The gold came down with the glaciers, along with other rocks and minerals. It was fun, if anyone wants to get together and try, let me know.
Dayton Diggers...Historical Research & Recovery
daytondigger

Metal Detector used: Fisher

Postby Cornstalk » 21 Mar 2008, 19:59

I panned in colorado and found some tiney sized gold.In a very small stream only about 3' wide.
Peace
Cornstalk

Postby stringfrenzy » 21 Mar 2008, 23:25

Would have certainly been fun to do.
Stringfrenzy

E-Trac 8x6 S.E.F./Ultimate 13/X-1
DFX 4x6 Shooter/950/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1/R.A.T.S MAX
BHID
Treasure Mate
stringfrenzy

Postby Paleo10kbc » 22 Mar 2008, 10:58

I was once told of a fellow,out hunting for Indian Artifacts,who found a quartz rock that held a funny looking metal.He followed his hunch,and poked at it with a scibe,and it gave a little.He then took it to a jeweler friend and it was acid tested and found to be over an ounce of gold amidst the quartz.
Is this common? It was near the St.Marys river.I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Thanks all Paleo
Paleo10kbc

Metal Detector used: Bounty Hunter

Postby stringfrenzy » 22 Mar 2008, 11:20

Sure would've been nice to find.
Stringfrenzy

E-Trac 8x6 S.E.F./Ultimate 13/X-1
DFX 4x6 Shooter/950/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1/R.A.T.S MAX
BHID
Treasure Mate
stringfrenzy

Postby nicademusx » 22 Mar 2008, 16:04

from the claims of several geologists, Ohio, supposedly, has no gold. The glaciers didnt deposit gold here, like it did in kentucky and tennessee. That's not to say that you COULDN'T find gold in ohio, it just wouldn't be in great abundance.
nicademusx

Postby rooster » 06 Apr 2008, 19:55

Yes, there's gold in the streams, I've found it. It's very fine, what some would call flour or dust. The GPAA has a claim between Bellville and Butler off SR97. We have our camper on site 24 (after the 19th) at River Trail Crossing if you want to stop by. We're about a mile downstream from the west claim and just upstream from the east claim. It's a great bunch of people that pan and have 'tecting contests, outings and the like. The gold is likely associated with the Wisconsonian glacial period and can be found anywhere, but a good rule of thumb is to look for an area of outwash. The USGS has some wonderful maps of glaciation that can help you in your search. Good hunting!
Ed
Earth first! We can mine the other planets later.
rooster

John Purcell of Tipp City

Postby NAD » 04 Oct 2008, 00:10

John had two leather pouches of gold flakes from some stream near Dayton..He used to dump the concentrate onto a black plastic sheet in the back of his PU truck.The trip would seperate the gold along the wrinkles. It was quite impressive. This was in the early 70's. John died, and I never contacted his widow, didn't know her that well ,,,,, I do know he was using a 4 inch dredge..He wasen't one to screw around......
NAD

Ohio gold

Postby MK111 » 30 Nov 2008, 23:54

There is gold in Ohio and it was deposited by the glaciers. As I take it there is no natural gold in Ohio only glacier deposited gold. I belong to the Ohio State Prospectors Assoc. and we have a claim North of Hillsboro. Do a Google search and you will get the link to our website. We are able to find gold everywhere in the creek on our lease but most of it is small. There have been some nice pickers found. A nice and helpfull group of guys and gals.
MK111

Re:

Postby daytondigger » 30 Apr 2009, 20:45

nicademusx wrote:from the claims of several geologists, Ohio, supposedly, has no gold. The glaciers didnt deposit gold here, like it did in kentucky and tennessee. That's not to say that you COULDN'T find gold in ohio, it just wouldn't be in great abundance.

Actually, gold was brought down to Ohio by the glaciers. There are only two states that never had a commercial Gold mining operation, KENTUCKY and Hawaii. There was a commercial gold mining operation near Batavia and is noted by an Ohio Historical Site marker. Gold is native to parts of southeast Tennessee. There are many streams in Ohio that produce very small amounts of gold, mostly flour gold. There are reports of nuggets being found as well including one that was 1/4 ounce. I know a guy that's panning near Xenia and finding gold.
Dayton Diggers...Historical Research & Recovery
daytondigger

Metal Detector used: Fisher

Re: gold panning

Postby Groundsnooper » 22 Jul 2009, 21:37

Digger is right, there is definitely gold in ohio streams, I believe what is excluded is the extreme south east part of Ohio which was not hit by the glaciers supposedly.
Groundsnooper

Return to Gold panning/prospecting